The pear's firmer texture carries well through the preserving.Ingredients (14 quarts)
- 1 bushel pears
- 1 cup lemon juice in 2 gallons of water
- 2 gallons honey or sugar syrup, medium
- Wash pears in cold water.
- Remove skins, halve, core and put in lemon water.
- Heat syrup to boiling.
- Once all pears are done, add to boiling syrup and boil for 5 minutes.
- Fill jars gently pressing down to get as much fruit in as possible.
- Cover in boiling syrup, ½" headspace. Remove air bubbles.
- Water bath for 30 minutes.
Coring pears can be tricky. There is a center round core that contains the seeds, but there is also a fiber that runs the whole length of the pear. Both need to be removed.