Harvest is upon us! Everything is a little behind this year. We're not sure why as we had a hot and wet summer. Corn, zucchini, apricots, pears all are coming in to the markets now.
September 11, 2017
- Pears - 15 quarts
- Beautiful Bartlet Pears from Altonen Orchards. Almost perfect in their ripeness. As always, pears are a less messy than peaches but a little harder to core. Gonna be wonderful, though.
September 9, 2017
- Ribolitta Soup - 14 quarts
- Excellent chard, huge kale and really huge cabbage! Everything was perfect until I was putting the jars on the shelf and realized I had forgotten the tomatoes and the garlic! Oh my. Have to see how it turns out.
September 4, 2017
- Peaches - 14 quarts
- We know we sound like a broken record but we are amazed at how expensive food is even here at harvest time. $52 a bushel for peaches!!! Fortunately we were able to get a good ripe half-bushel from our friends at Altonen Orchards for only $14 which is not too bad. The peaches are beautiful and perfect ripeness for canning.
September 2, 2017
- Red Lentil Soup - 13 quarts
- A new recipe for us. We tried it out on Thursday, everybody liked it so we decided to add it to our soups! It's very easy to make but we have to be careful not to make it too thick.
August 28, 2017
- Pesto - 23 half-pints
- All homegrown basil again this year. Mixed almonds and walnuts this time around, and a little exta garlic - why not? Needed to add a bit extra oil with the almonds as they are less oily than other nuts, but it all came out delicious!
August 27, 2017
- Corn Chowder - 16 quarts
- One of her favorites. Once again, even in harvest, prices are way too high. When I started canning in the early 2000's, I could buy corn at 13 ears for a dollar. That's 8 cents and ear. This year they were selling at 50 cents an ear!
August 26, 2017
- Cauliflower Soup - 14 quarts
- We got a really good deal from our friends at Altonen Orchards on the bell peppers and cauliflower! Thanks! Our oven is broken so we had to do the peppers and cauliflower on the grill! Fortunately the weather was nice. Every harvest we are surprised at how expensive ingredients are. This year red bell peppers were selling for $2.00 each! That's just insane. Next year we are going to grow our own.
August 15, 2017
- Apricots - 12 quarts
- We got a lug of these from our friends at King Orchards. We hadn't made these last year and I had forgotten how easy these are to can. They look delicious.
June 18, 2017
- Pickled Asparagus - 4 quarts
- Asparagus is at the very end of harvest. Last week when we were getting the rhubarb from King Orchards they had samples of recipes out. One of them was pickled asparagus, which was quite tasty, so we decided try and make some. We got six pounds of asparagus but it only made 4 quarts, stange.
June 11, 2017
- Rhubarb Relish - 6 half-pints
- Last year we made a ton of this and gave it away as gifts. This, just enough of ourselves. It's strange, last year we canned this a week earlier and almost missed the harvest, this year the rhubarb is just now coming in.
- Rhubarb Chutney - 8 half-pints
- A first time recipe for us. We love chutney and thought to add some variety. We already do up Tomato Chutney and Apple Chutney and thought this would be a nice addition. This recipe is only slightly different than the Rhubarb Relish, very similar.
- Rhubarb Jam - 6 half-pints
- Another first time recipe for us. We are not big jam eaters but thought we'd try it. It uses honey instead of sugar and we liked the flavor, not so sweet that you lose the slight tartness of the rhubarb. Have to see how it works out.
May 21, 2017
- Asparagus Soup — 16 quarts
- Our second year for canning this soup. We've come to really like it. We got half of our 25 pounds from our friends at King Orchards and the other half from Altonen Orchards. We are looking for someone who can provide us bulk pricing as the retail cost of these is rising too much each year.