Mid-June and we've had several days in the 80's. It's crazy. We're lucky if we get any 80 days and those usually don't come until the end of July! Also, Rhubarb and strawberries are very slow coming in.
August 15, 2017
- Apricots - 12 quarts
- We got a lug of these from our friends at King Orchards. We hadn't made these last year and I had forgotten how easy these are to can. They look delicious.
June 18, 2017
- Pickled Asparagus - 4 quarts
- Asparagus is at the very end of harvest. Last week when we were getting the rhubarb from King Orchards they had samples of recipes out. One of them was pickled asparagus, which was quite tasty, so we decided try and make some. We got six pounds of asparagus but it only made 4 quarts, stange.
June 11, 2017
- Rhubarb Relish - 6 half-pints
- Last year we made a ton of this and gave it away as gifts. This, just enough of ourselves. It's strange, last year we canned this a week earlier and almost missed the harvest, this year the rhubarb is just now coming in.
- Rhubarb Chutney - 8 half-pints
- A first time recipe for us. We love chutney and thought to add some variety. We already do up Tomato Chutney and Apple Chutney and thought this would be a nice addition. This recipe is only slightly different than the Rhubarb Relish, very similar.
- Rhubarb Jam - 6 half-pints
- Another first time recipe for us. We are not big jam eaters but thought we'd try it. It uses honey instead of sugar and we liked the flavor, not so sweet that you lose the slight tartness of the rhubarb. Have to see how it works out.
May 21, 2017
- Asparagus Soup — 16 quarts
- Our second year for canning this soup. We've come to really like it. We got half of our 25 pounds from our friends at King Orchards and the other half from Altonen Orchards. We are looking for someone who can provide us bulk pricing as the retail cost of these is rising too much each year.